Sunday, December 15, 2013

Missionaries entry to my Village :(

I have spent most of my holidays in the village. Even to this day i often go there.
I have seen the transition of my village from a day when there were no roads, no electricity and now with Dish TV in every home and a Taxi stand also.
Earlier the low caste people(the untouchables lived on other side of the road and the village was on other side.
Of course they came to other side for shops, liquor, etc.. But never entered any home and never touched anyone.
Most of them worked to clean the septic tank in houses, fields, cattle razing etc..
All this 10 years ago..
Slowly things changed..
The untouchables started visiting the temple in the village, participated in village rituals(fair, procession of a deity etc), travelled to the nearby town in public transport( yes they were not allowed to use public transport also)
And this till few months ago.
Last month when i went to the village I saw many without the traditional Bindi( Vermilion powder on forehead) and lot of changes.
I learnt some saints had visited the village for 'prayers'
A home in the village was made a place to pray and some people came there and offered some teachings.
So now my village has Christians. These people did not even know what Christianity is.

People whom they saw as superior now look like a low class to them. And they now have the feeling of being in a 'superior' caste.

Epilogue:
Though i very strongly hate the caste system in India I do not find it wrong for some low caste to find a 'Well Learned Brahmin' superior.
I find my manager superior. I find my CEO superior. I find my Prime Minister superior.
Whats wrong in this?
The caste system was never based on Birth. It was based on the work.
So whats wrong when the Brahmins are seen as superior?
And never blame the Brahmins or Sudras for this untouchability, superiority and inferiority complex.

The reason for these is a separate post which is there in Quora.
We people have always been used for the rulers gain.
And now the Christians have made use of this caste system and converted them to Christianity.


PS: Complete own write up and no part is copy pasted from anywhere.
I could be extremely wrong and am open to comments and to correct myself.

No comments: